Friday, September 5, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten!!

That's right, today was the day!! Alena had her first day of kindergarten and she LOVED it!! She's just bummed she has to wait a couple days before she gets to go back! I'm really hoping that attitude towards school lasts through, at least, the next 13 years of her life!!! :o) I'm not holding my breath, just hoping. :o) I left Tirus and his best friend at home with Anthony while I drove Alena to school. On the way there, I told her that I wanted her to be sure to remember one classmates name and tell it to me when I picked her up. For some reason I always remember my mom telling me it's important to remember new friends' names...now I'm not even sure if she ever actually said such a thing, perhaps it's just a figment of my imagination. Anways, we got to the school quite early, I didn't want her to feel rushed or chaotic on this very exciting day. Okay, okay, I didn't want to feel rushed or chaotic on this very exciting day. :o) I walked her to class and helped her find where she was supposed to put her coat and backpack. Then we found where she was supposed to sit for the day, got her name tag on and took a couple pictures of my big Kindergartener. I told her to have a wonderful day, that I'm SO proud of her and I'd see her after school. She was completely fine with me leaving, not that I was surprised by that at all. She's always been a go-getter kinda gal. I mentioned that I was very proud of her, well, I was also very proud of myself because I didn't shed a single tear through the whole thing!! :o) I'm getting so grown up! :o)

While Alena was in school, Tirus got to play with his best little friend in the whole world so I don't think he missed his sister in the least. :o) I have always said though that I swear Tirus would have been completely happy as an only child. Not that he doesn't love his sister, he tells her quite frequently that he loves her (and I don't even prompt him to do it!!), he is just a million times more well-behaved when Alena's not here for him to pester. :o)

I got to Alena's school to pick her up at 11:30am with 2 little 3 year old's strapped in the back seat. I "knew" Alena got out of school at 11:40 but I wanted to be sure to be in the front of what I "knew" would be a long line of cars full of parents wanting to pick up their little cherubs. Well, come to find out, 1/2 day co-op kindergarten actually gets out at 11:50am and no other parents showed up until 11:48am. So, there we were...me and my 2 little bundles of energy, strapped in the van for 20 stinkin minutes, waiting...and waiting...and waiting for Alena to get out of school. :o) At 11:53am the doors FINALLY opened and Mrs. Green acknowledged me with a wave and sent Alena skipping over to the van. I told her I was so excited to hear all about it and all I could get out of her was that she got to play outside...recess...that's all she'd talk about!! :o) Can't say that I blame her, recess is the most exciting part of school but I was desperately wanting to hear every detail of her entire 2 1/2 hours at school and all she'd talk about was recess. She did remember a name of one of her classmates...Elizabeth...they sat next to each other in class and even played with the hula hoops together at recess. :o) Apparently, Elizabeth is quite the hula hooper. So, sorry I don't have any other juicy tidbits to share regarding Alena's first day at kindergarten. But the most important thing is that Alena had a blast and she can't wait to go back on Monday!

Here's a couple very sweet pictures of Alena on her big first day...



1 comment:

Coraly said...

You did not cry!! You suck, I your friend howled, and I am even in my kids class 5 days a week! I need help!