Friday, September 19, 2008

It Starts....

We're only 2 weeks into the school year and already Alena has brought home some nasty germs and I've been infected. I've never had a dumb cold hit me so hard. Usually I get a stuffy nose and a cough and I deal with it...not this time...I've been completely wiped out. I can't get through the day without a nap and at least 9 hours of sleep at night. Even then it's questionable as to whether or not I'll survive from day to day. Alright, enough belly aching.

I got to volunteer in Alena's classroom for the first time yesterday and it was really cool! I loved watching Alena interact with her new friends and it was really nice to see for myself that she's doing so well academically. I sat at her table with 3 other little kids and there is such a wide range of abilities...I don't know how Mrs. Green does it! I mean, in one miniature chair sits a little boy who can't write really any of his letters, has no interest in trying to learn them and can't seem to do any detailed drawings at all. Then in another miniature chair sits my little girl who knows all her letters, is sounding out words to write them herself and is also drawing (and labeling) detailed drawings of her looking at a giraffe (she spelled it jraf...how cute is that?!?!) at the zoo with Uncle Ryan and Aunt Jody. Like I said, it's really exciting to see Alena doing so well but it's also sad seeing someone else's child struggling so bad. I greatly admire Mrs. Green - and all Kindergarten teachers for that matter - for their patience and ability to meet the needs of each and every one of those kids.

This evening, our 4 wonderful nephews are staying the night at our house. My kids LOVE their cousins! And the boys are such good kids...I never have issues with them. If we do have issues while they're here it's always started by my kids! :o) So, yes, right now I have 6 kids, ranging in age from 2 years to 6 years old, sitting in my living room having a movie night. And I must say, they are 6 of the best kids God ever made! :o) I'm sure it makes no sense at all but it's actually way easier to have 6 kids than 2. I know, it sounds crazy but they entertain each other so well, I can actually get more done around the house and there's less arguing. I gotta say, I absolutely LOVE having my brother's boys over to my house whether it's for a couple hours or overnight.

Until next time...may our Heavenly Father keep you and protect you from all those nasty germs your kids bring home to you on a daily basis...

No comments: