Thursday, September 4, 2008

Last Day of Summer Break

So, today is the last day of summer break at the Bader household. I find that to be very bitter sweet. I'm so excited to see my little princess growing up to be such an amazing, brilliant little girl. On the other hand, though, I can't help but be sad to see her moving into a new, more independent stage of life.

I took Alena to her classroom today so she could sit down with her teacher, Mrs. Green, and take an assessment test. When I picked her up a half an hour later, Mrs. Green informed me that Alena is more than ready for Kindergarten. She can count to 109 (do ask me why it stops there) and she is starting to read and write 4 and 5 letter words. However, because we're talking about Kindergarten here, there will be kids in her class that don't even know all their letters yet. I was a little worried that Alena would maybe get bored since they'll be starting out with learning their letters but Mrs. Green told me that on the homework she sends home (can you BELIEVE there's homework in Kindergarten?!?!?) she will add some more challenging work for Alena to do on top of what they'll already be working on.

After the assessment test was complete, Alena and I came home and enjoyed some lunch together. She made her own ham and cheese sandwich. Again, it's amazing how independent she's getting!! :o) After lunch, Anthony, Alena, Tirus and I went to Kayak Point and enjoyed a little fishing. Anthony caught 5 or 6 little flounders, 1 bullhead and (oddly enough) 1 pretty good sized crab! :o) Anthony was out in the water a little bit while he was fishing and a crab walked right up to him with his pinchers out, ready for a fight! :o) Anthony gently kicked the crab up onto the beach so the kids could get a good look at it and they thought it was REALLY cool! Before leaving Kayak Point we, of course, had to make a stop at the playground they have there now and all 4 of us had a ton of fun clowning around on the teeter totter thing and the big spider web looking thing.

All in all, this has been a very fun family day...the most wonderful way I can think of to end summer break.

1 comment:

LeFebvre Momma said...

That sounds like one great day. I can't believe Alena is so big - however, we all knew she was that smart. Although, I too wonder why she stops at 109. Maybe she thinks it is jus to repetetive after that!! Love you guys.